SPONSORS


PREMIER PARTNER


 

 


CORPORATE EVENT SPONSOR


 

 


CORPORATE PARTNER


 

 

 

 


EXECUTIVE PARTNER


 

 

 

 

 



CHAMBER NEWS




UPCOMING EVENTS




NEW MEMBERS

NORTH COUNTY

Just to the north and west of downtown St. Louis and its glimmering Gateway Arch stands a vibrant, burgeoning community where families, businesses, city organizations, churches, and schools have come together to create an area they can be proud of.

 

Rising from its rolling landscapes are homes in a diversity of price ranges and styles, a thriving business community anchored by such corporate giants as Boeing, GKN Aerospace, Christian Hospital, SSM DePaul Health Center, St. Louis Mills, Cabela's, and Mallinckrodt Inc., an astounding array of local retail and service-related businesses, and a myriad of cultural and community attractions.

 

North County's outstanding location (only 20 minutes from downtown along Interstate 70) has residents minutes away from the major attractions of both down-town St. Louis and St. Louis County. North County offers a peaceful, civil environment that benefits from convenient proximity to the business, cultural and entertainment centers of St. Louis.

The diverse population of the North County has long demonstrated an exceptional regard for tradition and history. Treasured old buildings are restored and proudly preserved, and annual fairs and festivals honor heritage and origins.

 

To live in North County means to have it all: great hospitals and health care facilities, superb municipal services, outstanding public and private schools, abundant shopping malls and retail strip centers, parks, churches and civic and cultural attractions-all within easy reach.

 

From quaint and affordable to upscale and modern, a variety of home styles in all price ranges are available to residents of the North County. A broad offering of attractive apartment homes, condominiums and town homes are also in abundance and can be found in all price ranges. Affordability is one of the most attractive features common to all homes in the North County. Homes in virtually all styles and sizes tend to be more reasonably priced than comparable homes in other areas of St. Louis-a city which already boasts some of the best housing prices in the nation. In addition, many spacious executive-style homes are built overlooking the Missouri River. We at the Chamber of Commerce hope that you will be a part of our exciting future.

 

BLACK JACK

Incorporated on August 6, 1970, Black Jack is the valley's youngest city which has a population of approximately 6,131 residents based onthe 1990 census. Black Jack is the only city in St. Louis County, which has no property tax. The City is governed by a mayor and 8 council members from each of four wards: all are part time positions.

 

The Harold J. Evangelista Park consists of 75 acres which contains two combination soccer/baseball fields, four tennis courts, a combination basketball/volleyball court, three young children's playground areas, two large pavilions with spacious picnic area, four horseshoe courts, a bandstand, and walking exercise trails.

 

The City has constructed a new ultra modern City Hall building in the initial phase of it's Government Center, on twelve acres located on Old Jamestown Road immediately north of Parker Road. This new City Hall consists of 15,000 square feet, and houses meeting rooms, administrative offices, and its own cable television studio, which has received national acclaim, winning over 10 National Video Competitions, for "North County News", shown on Charter Cable, Channel 20.

 

Parks in Black JackFinally, the city is experiencing a remarkable growth pattern in new residential construction along Old Jamestown and Old Halls Ferry Roads. These, with distinctive, high quality homes, coupled with the very attractive addition of self care apartments at the Delmar Gardens North Nursing Home on Parker Road compliments its existing full care nursing facility, which will enhance the aesthetic character of the City.

 

The city is presently serviced by the Black Jack Fire Protection District and the St Louis County Police Department which provides police protection, via a separate contract for the city. Further information may be obtained by contac ting the Black Jack City Hall at 314-355-0400, presently located at 12500 Old Jamestown Road, or visting us at www.cityofblackjack.com.

 

FLORISSANT

The City of Florissant is governed by a mayor-council form of municipal government. It has the only full-time, salaried mayor in St. Louis County and nine part-time city council members. In addition, there is an elected, part-time municipal judge.

 

Police protection to the City's 51,000 residents is provided by a force of more than 70 full-time officers and staff. The department is organized into a detective division, a juvenile division, a traffic division and a crime prevention bureau. It operates a state-of-the-art communications system that is one of the finest in the St. Louis area. Emergency request are received via a 911 telephone number which dispatches police, fire fighters or paramedics in a life support vehicle.

 

Fire protection is provided by the North County Fire District (operated by a separate governmental agency), which has maintained a Class 4 fire insurance rating. The district has three modern fire stations within the city and is operated by a full-time staff of trained fire fighters. A portion of Florissant is served by the Black Jack Fire Department.

 

Senior citizens enjoy a host of programs supported by the city. These include a Resident Photo ID framed in yellow which entitles elderly individuals to special services. Numerous local retail establishments honor the Resident ID for extra discounts on merchandise and services. The city publishes two pages for seniors in the Florissant Focus Newsletter and sponsors "FLERT" (Florissant Local Elderly Resident Transportation), a free door-to-door bus service. In addition, it provides a "File of Life" service, whereby a uniformed police officer installs a plastic vial containing residents' medical information in their household refrigerators, where it can be readily located by emergency personnel. For information about the City of Florissant go to www.florissantmo.com. For information about the Sunset Park Nature Lodge, go to http://floparksfoundation.com.

 

HAZELWOOD

The City of Hazelwood incorporated as a village in 1949 and became a Charter City in 1970. It is a community of 27,000 residents and 850 businesses. Hazelwood is a council/manager form of government, with an elected mayor and eight council members.

 

The City is located in the northwest section of St.Louis County, just north of Lambert-St. Louis International Aiirport and covers 17 square miles. Hazelwood itself has 16 parks and a sports complex emcompassing 200 acres. The parks include a stocked fishing pond, an 18-hole golf course and an outdoor swimming pool. The Community Center is located at 1186 Teson Road, has a gymnasium, weight and game rooms, a preschool area and meeting rooms. The Civic Center East, located at 8969 Dunn Road, includes a gymnasium with an elevated walking/jogging track, weight and game rooms and multi-purpose rooms.

 

The Hazelwood Fire Department operates out of two stations and provides fire protection to the major part of the City. Portions of the Robertson and North County Fire Protection Districts were annexed into the City and Hazelwood contracts with those two jurisdictions for fire service. All the fire agencies maintain a Class IV Fire Insurance rating. The city also offers a free ambulance service. Police protection is provided to the entire City by a force of 52 commissioned police officers and 28 civilian personnel and boasts one of the lowest crime rates in the St. Louis region. From its light industrial and manufacturing districts to warehousing and commercial areas, to residential subdivisions and agricultural districts, Hazelwood is home to a proud, diverse community. For more information about the City of Hazelwood go to www.hazelwoodmo.org .

 

SPANISH LAKE

At the confluence of the Missouri and Mississipppi Rivers, Spanish Lake is an unincorporated township under the jurisdiction of St. Louis County. Spanish Lake was founded October 2, 1767. Spanish Lake began as Spanish Pond and was named for the Spanish Governor Zenon Trudeau, whose home was located there.

 

Fort Don Carlos was built in 1767 on the south bank of the Missouri River, six miles from the confluence with the Mississippi and Captain Don Francisco Rui was the Spanish Commander and official commandant of the Missouri county; he was replaced by Lt. Don Pedros Pienas in 1769. Charlesde Hault de Lassus (de St. Vrain) was the last Spanish Lieutenant-Governor in the Spanish Lake area and received several large Spanish land grants for his services. DeLassus and his brother Jacques, who retained the de St. Brain name, improved the lake area, to create a pleasant atmoshphere for receiving Spanish Officials and important French businessmen, from St. Louis.

 

In 1806, the U.S. Army under General Wilkinson, military leader in charge of the Western Waters and the Louisiana Purchase, chose a parcel of land including the site of the old Spanish fort as the location of the first U.S. fort west of the Mississippi River. Fort Bellefontaine was the first important U.S. Army military post, west of the river, to serve as headquarters for the army and for Indian affairs in the west. Bellefontaine Road leading from St. Louis to Fort Bellefontaine, was the start of the "Great Trail" that lead to Oregon and the opening of the West.

 

In 1805, Lieutenant Zebulon Pike started from Ft. Bellefontaine to explore Mississippi sources. Pike left Ft. Bellefontaine for his great southwestern expedition into Spanish territory on July 15, 1806. From 1809 to 1815, Fort Bellefontaine was the headquarters of the Department of Louisiana Purchase west of the Mississippi. In 1815, the cantonment was headquarters of the 9th Military Department responsible for the Purchase west of the Mississippi except Louisiana-as well as Illinois, Wisconsin, Tennessee and Kentucky. Ft. Bellefontaine was abandoned for Jefferson Barracks in 1826 and has since been used as the site for the Missouri Hill Home for Boys.